Monday 12 August 2013

Adventures With Greg and Leisha 11th August

Greg and Leisha caught the train from Sydney up to Hawkesbury River yesterday. We decided to take them over to Dangar Island, as they had not been there, and we had enjoyed it so much. Again we put Lily on the small beach near the coffee shop and then did the circumnavigation. They were both as impressed as we had been. A cup of coffee and toasted banana bread completed a lovely morning.



As we were preparing ourselves and Lily to go back to Rene a lady from a house nearby started talking to us about this beautiful island. She mentioned that she and her friend were about to go over to the other side of the river to climb up to her favourite waterfall. She invited us along, so of course we took her up on the invitation and off we went. We both tied the dinghies to a rock at the edge and clambered up to a level area above. Helen actually said, 'It's not far, a bit steep at the beginning, but then flattens out.'



Off we went, following Helen and Adrian up an ill defined path, the steepest I have ever been on. It was OK at first, but as we climbed it got steeper and eventually we had to use an old knotted rope to pull ourselves up an almost insurmountable rock. By now I was feeling very uneasy, wishing I had suction pads on my hands and feet, such as those frogs have. Climbing required both hands and feet and looking down from these dizzying heights had me deciding to pull out. Leisha at six months pregnant was happy to go on. I kept wondering what would happen if she slipped. She wasn't at all fazed. I must say now that Helen is 70 years old and went up this ravine like an antelope. After a short break everyone talked me into going on and for a while I tried not to look down as I felt I might fall of the slope at any moment. We had to push through bush and Greg said, 'What about the ticks Mum?' At that point in time I had got past my phobia about ticks. They were the least of my problems. Eventually the path flattened out and soon we stepped down into the rocky creek bed.







The creek and waterfall were a delight. The views from the top amazing - so far up! I imagine in summer this would be a wonderful spot for a swim, but now the water was very cold. I'm glad I conquered my fears and climbed on. It must be said I am a West Aussie and have never climbed anything as scary, steep and high as this. On the way down I carried a stout stick and this was a great help in providing support as I went. I'm even considering buying some "Dork Sticks" much to Greg's horror.

We made our way back to Rene and eventually had a very late lunch.

 
Helen and Adrian


  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great day thanks!! I am considering buying Greg some 'Dork Sticks' for Christmas!

Leisha (: